Saturday, June 27, 2009

Coming up - Ooty road trip on Enfield bullet!

Its been 2 months since I posted something new (exciting!) things happening in my life. But rather I should say I had no time during weekends over the last month as I have bought a 1983 Royal Enfield Bullet and have been on a spin of late.

I want to now living my dreams and enjoy my bacherlor-hood :)
The hunt for the "vintage"( still not old enough to call it so?) was awesome. It was one of my childhood dreams to buy this macho-machine!Having driven cousin's enfield thunderbird for a couple of days made my decision of buying more easier 'n stronger. Passionate about the power and performance, I searched for the ONE and got a bullet 350cc Std for pretty decent Rs. 42K(with registration). I should rather say it i'm lucky coz the engine is in mint condition and the reason for it is that gives an awesome mileage of around 35kmpl in my driving, for its torque-to-weight ratio!

I had seen nearly 5 bullets before buying this, and one out of them was too good (1972 model, Heavy Crank england Engine) but was a bit more costlier (around 50K, negotiable upto 47K. If anyone is willing to buy I shall still call him up to see if he still owns it. It is really a good one, and i can vouch for it!)

The minute problems exist which i can say are "cosmetic" without troubling the heart beat(thump of engine), like my bike's speedometer has turned down from past few days, the stand spring has turned loose and drops if i overspeed than normal at bumps.

I need to get it overhauled on monday for the long treacherous ghat section rides to Ooty on July 3-4-5 (http://www.crossworks.in/bulleteer/), organised by crossworks and travellife. Yes is it aptly named as "monsoon ride" :)
Their motto being "Biking is living, Everything else is just waiting"

Watch-out for this space, More to come after the next week expedition.
Adios :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up dude... I would love to hear about your drive along the road to Ooty, I ve been to Ooty through Gudallore, I think ur going by the other road, with 36 hair pins , Hoping to catch ur tale as well as some pics.

~~~~~~
Sandeep

Kartoon said...

Good to know you are like minded too :)

I don't know about the route yet but all i can say that it will be awesome fun to hear the roaring of the bullets one behind the other like-a-train, and also the ride in heavy monsoon rain makes it more interesting!

Anonymous said...

If you have read the book , Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, you will find that,
it too says, the feeling you get when the wind whizzes past you while driving, feeling the blooming flowers touching your feet and above all riding in the forest, is just unmatchable,

Goin in a car you wont get the same feeling, you need to cycle or go thru a bike, Just to feel the feeling !!!

~~~~~~
Sandeep

Kartoon said...

Haven't read the book but yup, cycling is indeed more fun than anything else. It has been my favorite way of commuting. My last solo cycle trip is the most memorable of all!

Having plans for cycling to Savandurga/Ramanagar but not finding proper motivation and friends. :)

Anonymous said...

I had some thoughts on buying a car, (not confirmed one), but if I brought a car, I wanted to have an overhead carrier, just to tie a bicycle, so that I could cycle along the roads of Bandipur, amidst greenery, cycling as slowly as I could,

Nothing gives me more thrill than this particular thing. Cycling in unknown places like bandipur, yana, along karwar. I would love to do it some day..

I will keep my fingers crossed till then.

Unknown said...

Hello KARTOON

Can you please check whether that 72 model Enfield Bullet is still available there or not

Thanks & Regards,
Ranjith.
Mob: 9449113501

Kartoon said...

Hi Ranjith,
Nice to see someone interested in enfields!
You may contact Raja, who works as an engineer at CPRI insititute, next to IISc bangalore campus. His number is 9008866188. I doubt if he still owns it.
Btw, Call me karthik :)

Anonymous said...

Kartoon,

Could you pls share the contact details of the seller who owns the 1972 model Bullet. I am looking for a vintage Bullet in good conditions. I own a Royal Enfield Lightning 535 & want to add a vintage horse to my stable. Thanks

Giridhar
giridhar.07@gmail.com